Labor Day means many things; it’s a celebration of the American workforce and a fun-filled three-day weekend. For many, it marks the end of summer. Let’s be real, here in Texas concepts like summer and fall are pretty synonymous. That aside, we want you to celebrate Labor Day like a boss. You can do that with these three recipes for adult summer slushies.
These frozen cocktail recipes are perfect for cooling off on a warm day, kicking back and having your own little staycation. Cheers to not having to go in to the office!
Watermelon White Negroni Slushy
This frozen slushy is not too sweet, so it’s perfect for the more refined palates that prefer the taste of a classic Negroni cocktail to that of a daiquiri. Note that chilling the mixture in the freezer ahead of time will help keep dilution to a minimum for a less watery slushy. The alcohol content prevents it from freezing solid.
Ingredients for the Watermelon Gin
- ½ cup cubed watermelon
- 1½ cups Gin
Ingredients for the Watermelon White Negroni Slushy
- 4½ oz Watermelon Gin
- 2½ oz Cocchi Americano
- 2½ oz Vermouth
- 3 cups ice
- Watermelon and orange slices, for garnish
For the watermelon gin:
- In an airtight container, combine gin and watermelon. Keep in a cool, dark place for 48 hours.
- Strain into a clean container until ready for use.
For the Watermelon White Negroni Slushy:
- Combine the watermelon gin, Cocchi Americano, and vermouth in an airtight container and freeze for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, add frozen alcohol to a blender with ice. Blend on high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Split between highball glasses or white wine glasses. Garnish each glass with watermelon and/or an orange slice.
Frozen Jungle Boogie Slushy
Made with two types of rum and fresh pineapple juice, this frozen cocktail combines fruity richness balanced out by the bitter cut of Campari.
- 3 oz fresh pineapple juice
- ½ oz Grade B maple syrup
- 1 oz fresh lime juice (from 1 to 2 limes)
- 1½ oz Campari
- 1½ oz Cruzan blackstrap rum
- 1½ oz Royal Jamaican rum
- 8 standard ice cubes
- Pineapple leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Add pineapple juice, maple syrup, lime juice, Campari, blackstrap rum, and Jamaican rum into a re-sealable container.
- Seal and freeze anywhere between 4 and 10 hours.
- When ready to serve, pour chilled cocktail mixture into a blender. Add ice cubes and blend until uniform.
- Divide between 2 glasses. Serve immediately! Garnish with pineapple slice and cherry if desired.
Adult Strawberry Limeade Slushies
These adult strawberry lemonade slushies are perfect for summer parties. Plus, the lemonade becomes an upgrade with Cointreau, and vodka.
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulls removed
- ¾ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ cup vodka
- ⅓ cup Cointreau liqueur
- Additional strawberries and lemon slices for garnish, if desired
- Add sugar and 1 cup of water to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the remaining 2 cups of water.
- Add to the blender’s pitcher along with strawberries, lemon juice, vodka, and Cointreau. Puree until completely smooth.
- Pour into a large freezer-safe container and seal with lid or plastic wrap. Carefully transfer to freezer. Freeze until solid, approximately 4-6 hours.
- Remove from freezer. Scrape with a fork to loosen ice; stir with a spoon to mix ice and the rest of the ingredients back together if necessary.
- Spoon into glasses, decorate the glass with a strawberry and a lemon slice if desired, and serve with a spoon.
Happy Labor Day! Take a load off on your day off by trying one of these frozen slushies. But before you do, be sure to get the best ingredients by asking the spirit experts at your local Spec’s Wines, Spirits & Finer Foods.