Summer is unofficially party season! So make sure you’re well prepared. Nothing puts the bummer in your summer, faster than a party without enough drinks to go ‘round. Ensure your soiree is ‘party-foul’ proof, by whipping up one of these big batch summer cocktails. Do this, and you’ll never run dry.
After all, a summer party is best spent laughing with your friends while you get crazy looking, sandal tan lines; Not rushing back and forth from the yard to the kitchen so you can sling drinks to those unexpected guests.
Bourbon Mint Lemonade
makes about 15 (6-oz) drinks
1 (59-oz) container lemonade
2 cups bourbon, (we recommend Garrison Brothers)
1/4 cup chopped mint
garnish: sliced lemon and mint leaves
Combine lemonade, bourbon and chopped mint, and stir in large pitcher. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish glasses with lemon slices and mint leaves, if desired. Serve, and get ready for the compliments to roll in!
Kiwi Blueberry Mojito Pitcher
makes 4-8 drinks
This tasty gem of a recipe uses fresh kiwis, blueberries, lime, mint leaves, sparkling water and rum. It’s quite the stunning pitcher cocktail to behold!
6 kiwis, peeled and quartered
6 ounces of blueberries, to be crushed
¼ cup fresh lime juice, (from 1-2 limes)
½ cup sugar, adjust to taste
4 ounce pack of mint, leaves only
1 ½ – 2 cups of sparkling water
1 ½ cups of rum, we recommend Island Company Rum
Ice as needed
Blue and/or green sugar to decorate glass rims
6 ounce of whole blueberries
4 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- Place the cut kiwis in a small food processor with the sugar and lime juice, pulse until you get a thick puree. Mix the kiwi puree with the rum.
- Gently crush the first 6 ounces of blueberries with a muddler.
- You can make the mojitos in pitcher or in individual glasses.
- Moisten the rims of the glasses with a slice of lime and garnish the rims with the sugar. Note: if you can’t find blue and/or green sugar, blue or green sugar cookie sprinkles can be substituted.
- Pour the kiwi puree into the pitcher, add a layer of ice, add a good amount of mint leaves and kiwi slices. Next add a few more ice cubes, and then add the crushed blueberries, some more mint leaves and whole blueberries. Top off with the sparkling water and mix gently. Taste and add more rum, sparkling water, or sugar if desired.
Sparkling White Peach Sangria
makes 4-6 drinks.
2 to 3 white peaches, sliced
3/4 cup peach or apricot brandy
1 bottle Moscato wine, chilled
1 liter peach seltzer water, chilled
In a pitcher place 3/4 of the sliced peaches (be sure to save some for the garnish) and brandy. Lightly muddle. Add the Moscato and seltzer water.
Stir with wooden spoon to mix. Pour into ice-filled glasses and top with a couple of fresh peach slices. Serve and enjoy!
Strawberry Basil Margarita
makes 1 pitcher, or 8 servings
1 can (12 oz) frozen limeade concentrate
10 – 12 strawberries
8 basil leaves
2 – 2 1/2 cups tequila (gold or silver)
Empty the limeade concentrate into a pitcher. Add 2 1/2 cans of water and 1 1/2 (18 ounces, or 2 1/4 cups) cans of tequila, or less depending on taste. Hull the strawberries, slice lengthwise, and add to the pitcher. Crumple the basil a little in your hands and add it to the pitcher. Cover pitcher, and chill in fridge for at least 4 hours minimum. You could let it chill overnight, if you want. When you remove the pitcher from the fridge, it should be a pretty pale pink color. Serve then savor!
That’s it for now! Since summer is in full swing, be sure to stock up on the perfect seasonal party supplies at your local Spec’s.