Are you ready? You’re about to refine your knowledge of world culture. And feel inspired to create a delicious almond cocktail!
Today we celebrate National Amaretto Day.
What Is Amaretto?
Amaretto is Italian for “a little bitter”. Taking its name from the bitter almond (mandorla amara)—this Italian liqueur is actually delightfully sweet.
The amaretto begins with a romantic legend from Serrano, Italy—hundreds of years ago.
Story time! Italian Renaissance, 1525. Bernardino Luini, a pupil of DaVinci, was commissioned to paint the local church’s frescos. He met a beautiful innkeeper and asked her to be the model in his painting. Soon after—they fell in love. *Cue romantic harp sounds*
After the painting was completed, the innkeeper—being a commoner with little money, presented Luini with a home made gift—the amaretto— as a sign of her affection. (Awwww! That’s amore.)
Living proof that alcohol brings couples closer together. But enough romance for now. It’s time for deliciousness!
Sure to be your new favorite if you’re a fan of the coconut candy bar of the same name.
- Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a highball glass and enjoy!
Classic Amaretto Sour
Delicious and one of the simplest drinks to make.
- 1½ oz amaretto liqueur
- 3 oz sweet and sour mix
- Splash of lemon-lime soda
- Maraschino cherries
- Combine and shake the liqueur and mix in a cocktail shaker.
- Pour the contents into a glass and add crushed ice and as many cherries as desired.
Italian Sports Car
- 1 oz Southern Comfort
- 1 oz Crown Royal
- 1 oz Amaretto
- Pineapple Juice
- Orange Juice
- 1 splash Grenadine
- Fill a highball glass with ice and pour in the liqueurs.
- Fill the rest of the glass with equal parts of the juices and top off with a splash of grenadine.
- Cover the glass with a shaker and shake well. Remove shaker from glass. Serve and enjoy!
That’s it for now, our almond-loving friends. Be sure to follow Spec’s on Facebook and check back in to our blog so you don’t miss out on daily specials, creative recipes, party planning tips, and more.
Have a Happy National Amaretto Day!