Rewind several decades to the 1950’s. Chuck Berry plays on the jukebox in the little soda shop down the street, while dozens of teens in poodle skirts and slicked back hair line-up to savor one of the most iconic summer beverages of all time—the ice cream float!
The times have evolved, and with them, so has the ice-cream float. How do you make the combination of soda and ice cream even better? Add high-quality spirits and craft beer to the mix.
Here are some of our favorite boozy ice cream soda recipes to celebrate Ice Cream Soda Day.
Boozy Cherry Vanilla Float
- 4 12 oz cans cherry soda
- Pint vanilla ice cream
- Vanilla vodka
- Maraschino cherries
- 4 8 oz mason jars
- Large straws
- In the bottom of each mason jar, stir together 1 tbsp ice cream and 2-3 tbsp of Cherry Soda.
- Add 2 oz of vodka to each mason jar and stir to combine.
- Add 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream to each jar.
- Slowly fill with cherry soda, garnish with a maraschino cherry and a straw. Serve and enjoy!
Imperial Stout and Coffee Float
- 2 bottles Imperial Stout
- 4 scoops coffee ice cream
- Split a stout between two large mugs and then add a shot of vodka to each.
- Carefully drop two scoops of ice cream into each glass and then top off with remaining stout. Serve with a straw and small spoon.
Boozy Rootbeer Float
- 2 cans Root Beer
- 4 tbsp (2 oz) quality vodka
- 4 scoops vanilla or coconut ice-cream
- Split a can of soda between two large glasses and then add a shot of vodka to each.
- Carefully drop two scoops of ice cream into each glass and then top off with remaining can of root beer. Serve with a straw and small spoon.
Summer Ale and Lemon Sherbet Float
- 2 bottles Summer Ale
- 4 scoops lemon sherbet
- Split a bottle of summer ale between two large mugs.
- Carefully drop two scoops of sherbet into each glass and then top off with remaining ale.
*Note this can also work with a key lime sorbet
Vegan Lime Sherbet Gin & Tonic Float
- 1 cup mashed avocado
- 2 cup mashed honeydew melon
- 1 cup custard apple flesh
- ½ cup lime juice, divided
- 1 – 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Sea Salt
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedges
- Blend avocado,1 cup honeydew, ¼ c lime juice, maple syrup and a tiny pinch of sea salt until smooth. Scrape into a freezer-safe container.
- Blend custard apple, 1 cup honeydew and ¼ cup lime juice until smooth, scrape into another freezer-safe container. Freeze both containers until solid.
- Remove from freezer and set on bench for 5 mins or so to soften slightly.
- Pop avocado mixture out of container, chop roughly and blend to create a soft-serve texture.
- Scrape into a bowl and repeat process with custard apple mixture.
- Dollop soft-serve mixtures alternately into a large freezer-safe container, swirl gently with the tip of a knife and return to freezer.
- Remove from freezer 5 minutes before scooping.
- Place a handful of ice and a scoop or three of lime sherbet in a glass.
- Pour over a shot or three of gin and a splash of tonic. Serve with lime.
NOTE: If made in advance, whisk and reheat before serving. To prepare custard apple scoop flesh from skin and remove black seeds before pureeing.