Just when you thought you’d exhausted all possibilities for entertainment and started considering wallpapering the ceiling as a good use of your time – Spec’s is here to help you raise a glass and sit on your…couch. In case you missed week 1, Spec’s will be serving up streaming content recommendations paired with a beverage that matches the entertainment’s theme.
So, without further ado, let’s get into week 2’s picks!
The Stranger • Netflix
Based on Harlan Coben’s novel of the same name, the series follows Adam Price, who seems to be living the perfect life – two great sons, a watertight marriage – until a stranger approaches him at a bar and reveals a shocking secret about Price’s wife, Corinne.
Pair it with:
One of the most famous beers to come out of north England, specifically Manchester, which is one of the settings in the series.
Red Headed Stranger
Much like the stranger in the series, this sippable stranger brings the heat!
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 1 squeeze of lemon
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 2 oz. Wild Turkey
- 1 oz. Domaine de Canton
- Add the pepper, lemon, and bitters to the bottom of a shaker and stir to dissolve the pepper.
- Fill the shaker with ice and add the Wild Turkey and Domaine de Canton and shake until cold.
- Strain into an ice filled rocks glass and garnish with a piece of candied ginger.
High Fidelity • Hulu
Rob (John Cusack), is a record-store owner in the rapidly gentrified Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, who revisits past relationships through music and pop culture while trying to get over his one true love and finds himself being dragged kicking and screaming into adulthood.
PSA: It may not the best idea to bring up old flames while quarantined with your significant other.
Pair it with:
Raise a pint to Brooklyn!
- 1 ½ oz. Jamaican rum
- 1 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/2 oz. lime juice
- Dash Angostura bitters
- 1 ½ oz. 7UP
- Mint and orange, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker combine rum, pineapple juice, lime juice, and bitters.
- Shake and pour into a tiki mug over crushed ice.
- Add 7UP®.
- Garnish with mint sprig and an orange slice.
Birds of Prey • Streaming rental/On-Demand
After breaking it off with her unhinged beau, the Joker, Harley Quinn has a target on her back. She’s on her own fighting off the darkest corners of Gotham’s crime underworld until she becomes unexpected allies with three deadly women — Huntress, Black Canary and Renee Montoya.
Pair it with:
Besides the obvious reasons, this pretty little sipper packs a punch!
- 1 ½ oz. Raspberry Liqueur
- 1 1/1 oz. Elderflower Liqueur
- 1 oz. of Vodka
- Maraschino Cherry and Rock Candy Swizzle Stick, for garnish
- Add the raspberry liqueur, elderflower liqueur and vodka to a cocktail shaker filled with ice
- Shake until cool to the touch.
- Strain into a glass.
- Top up with champagne.
- Drop in a maraschino cherry and garnish with a rock candy swizzle stick.