Pool days are a summer rite of passage! They define the lazy days of the heat-soaked season and offer a fun getaway from the daily grind. And any trip to paradise needs to taste like it too! So, instead of, or along with, the standard beach and pool beverages of beer and wine, why not try some drinks you can mix up before hittin’ the water? We’ve put together some recipes that you can either premix at home or just make them at the pool with some simple ingredients.
Of course, make sure to verify the rules for the particular beach you’re heading to and never bring glass cups or containers! Everything you need can be transferred or replaced with unbreakable items.
- 2 oz. Vodka
- 1 oz. Triple Sec
- 3 oz. Fresh orange juice
- Splash of Sprite
- Orange slice for garnish
- Add vodka, Triple Sec, and orange juice to a glass filled with ice.
- Top with a splash of Sprite and mix well.
- Garnish with orange peel or orange slice.
- 2 oz. Coconut Rum
- 1 oz. Blue Curacao
- 1½ oz. Pineapple juice
- Shake it all up and serve
Mint Bourbon Lemonade
- 9 oz. Bourbon
- 24 oz. Lemonade
- 2 big handfuls of fresh mint leaves
- At home: Combine 9 ounces of bourbon, 3 cups of fresh lemonade, and two big handfuls of fresh mint leaves. Keep chilled in a sealable container until ready to use.
- At the beach: Pour into a glass with ice and garnish with a mint sprig.
- 9 oz. Gin
- 3 oz. Aperol
- 24 oz. Italian Orange Soda
- At home: Combine 9 ounces of gin (we’re using Beefeater) and 3 ounces of Aperol. Keep chilled in a sealable container until ready to use. Bring along 2 cans of Italian orange soda.
- At the beach: Divide evenly between 6 glasses with ice. Pour a third of a 12-oz can of Italian orange soda atop each one. Garnish with an orange half-moon.
Rum & Grapefruit
- 9 oz. Rum
- 24 oz. Grapefruit juice
- 10 dashes Angostura bitters
- 6 oz. Club Soda
At home: Combine the rum, grapefruit juice, and bitters. Keep chilled in a sealable container until ready to use. Bring along club soda.
At the beach: Divide evenly between 6 glasses with ice. Pour about 1 ounce of club soda on top of each one.