While coffee maybe America’s go to hot beverage, indulging in a cuppa (British slang for a cup of tea) now and then can be a delightful alternative…especially when you blend teatime with happy hour. That’s right, those little bags of herbs and spices make for a wonderful cocktail base and we’ve got a collection of our favorites for you to try.
Pinkies, and bottoms, up!
Matcha Lemonade Cocktail
- Brew Matcha tea
- Add ingredients and ice to shaker and shake until chilled.
- Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass.
- Garnish with cucumber slices.
Earl Grey Tea Cocktail
- 6 oz Cold Earl Grey tea
- 1¼ oz Gin
- 1¼ oz honey simple syrup (5 cups water, 1 cup honey in saucepan. Simmer until honey is dissolved)
- ¼ oz fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 sprigs lavender
- Brew 4 cups Earl Grey tea.
- Make a batch of honey simple syrup by combining 5 cups water and 1 cup honey in a saucepan and simmering until the honey has dissolved.
- Cool tea and syrup in the fridge.
- Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker, with 2 sprigs lavender and ice.
- Shake several times before straining the cocktail into a glass over one large ice cube.
- Garnish with lavender.
Rye-Spiked Cinnamon Tea (su jung kwa tea)
- ¼ lb fresh ginger, peeled and cut into ½” pieces
- ¼ lb cinnamon sticks
- 2 dried dates or jujubes
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tbsp pine nuts
- 1½ oz Rye whiskey
- 3 oz Su Jung Kwa tea
- ¼ oz lemon juice
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange twist, for garnish
- Make the tea: In a 4-qt. pot, combine ginger, cinnamon, and jujubes with 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sugar until dissolved. Let steep for 2 hours; add pine nuts and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the cocktail: Fill cocktail shaker with ice and add all ingredients; cover and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with an orange twist, if you like.
Rock & Rye & Rum Punch
- 2 oz hibiscus tea
- 1½ oz Rock and Rye
- ½ oz Aged Rum
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- 1 slice orange, to garnish
- 1 brandied cherry, to garnish
- Stir together brewed and cooled tea, Rock and Rye, rum, and juice in an old-fashioned glass.
- Add ice, and garnish with orange slice and brandied cherry.
Peach Iced Tea Cocktail
- 1 cup unsweetened peach tea
- 1 oz Peach vodka
- 1 oz Mint simple syrup
- Mint sprigs and peach slices for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker to mix
- Serve over ice with a mint sprig and peach slices mixed in
Southern Fruit Tea Cocktail
Makes a pitcher
- 64 oz Sweet Tea
- 1 cup lemonade
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup orange juice concentrate thawed
- 1 ½ cups dark rum
- sliced lemons pineapple chunks, oranges, mint, and maraschino cherries for garnish
- Combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Pour individual servings over ice and garnish with fresh fruit.
White Peach Green Tea Bellini
- 1 tsp or 1 sachet green tea
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ white peach, chopped into cubes
- 2 oz gin
- 4 oz prosecco
- Ice for serving
- White peach slices for garnish
- Heat water to 185°F and steep tea for 2-3 minutes. Then remove tea bag or leaves and set aside to cool.
- Place the sugar in a shallow bowl or plate, moisten the rim of the cocktail glass with a peach slice, and dip it into the sugar to coat the rim.
- Next muddle the peach cubes in the sugar rimmed glass. Add in the gin, prosecco, and 4 oz of the tea. Add a couple of ice cubes, garnish with peach slices
Chai Tea Cocktail
- Combine together all ingredients and shake.
- Pour over ice and garnish with a cinnamon stick.