You know em’, you love em’, there’s even a famous oldies song about them. (It involves being “caught in the rain”.) Today we’re going to get into Piña Colada variations. You don’t need a plane ticket to go on a tropical vacation, all you need is to mix up any one of these cocktail recipes for your very own weekend escape*.
*Grass skirts, bikinis and gaudy Hawaiian shirts optional.
Rummin’ with the Devil Piña Colada
This cousin of the piña colada uses dark rum, which gives the drink a whole new dimension. It’s garnished with both pineapple and basil leaves as well as a sprinkle of earthy brown sugar.
- 2 oz Cruzan Aged Dark Rum
- 1 oz Fresh pineapple juice
- ½ oz Coconut cream
- ½ oz Fresh lime juice
- 3 tsp Granulated brown sugar
- 1 Basil leaf
- 2 Pineapple leaves
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Add the first four ingredients to a cocktail shaker, add ice, and shake until chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice, garnish with the basil and pineapple leaves and brown sugar, and top with a few dashes of bitters.
Mango Piña Colada
- 1 ½ oz White Rum
- 1 oz Mango puree
- 1 oz Coconut cream
- ¾ oz Lime juice
- Pickled mango and freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Add the first four ingredients to a blender, add ice, and process until smooth.
- Pour into a rocks glass, and garnish with the pickled mango and nutmeg. Serve and enjoy!
This decadent, dessert cocktail will have chocoholics swooning.
- 2 oz Vodka
- 2 oz Dark Créme De Cacao
- 1 oz Pina Colada Mix
- 4 Scoops Chocolate Ice Cream
- Garnish: Whipped Cream, Chocolate Shavings, Cherry
- Add chocolate ice cream to blender and pour in chocolate vodka, creme de cacao and pina colada mix. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mix into glass and top with whipped cream, cherry and chocolate shavings.
Blueberry Piña Colada
- 6-8 oz White Rum
- 1/2 cups Coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Coconut water
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- ½ cup Fresh pineapple
- 1/2 Frozen banana
- 1 tbsp Shredded coconut
- 1 cup Ice
- 1-2 tsp Maple syrup (optional)
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend on high for 45 – 60 seconds until smooth.
That’s it for now! For more easy to mix liquor recommendations, be sure to ask the helpful, masters of mixology at your local Spec’s.