April 22nd is Earth Day and on this spring holiday we laud and celebrate all things planet Earth.
Some like to think of Earth Day as ‘Mother’s Day’ for nature, a time to give back and show appreciation for our planet. It was first celebrated in 1970 and has only grown since then. Today, the Earth Day network hosts environmental protection events in over 193 countries!
But Earth Day is more than environmental activism. It’s about having fun! People celebrate Earth Day by spending time outdoors, soaking up some vitamin D, and relaxing.
So whether you want to invite some guests over to chill on your porch for a planet-themed pow-wow, or just take some time to yourself, celebrate by mixing up any of these Earth Day themed cocktails.
Blue Ocean Martini
This tasty concoction gets its luminous color from the addition of blue curacao.
- 1-1/2 oz Infused Craft lemon vodka
- 1 oz Blue Curacao
- 1 tbsp fresh Lime juice
- 1/4 cup Light white cranberry juice
- Lime and lemon for garnish
- Mix all of the ingredients in a chilled drink mixer filled halfway with ice.
- Shake vigorously. Strain into two chilled martini glasses, garnish with a slice of lime or lemon.
This exotic cocktail is refreshingly crisp.
- 2 oz Tequila
- 1.5 oz Tangerine juice, freshly squeezed and strained
- ½ oz Lemon juice
- ½ oz Simple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp Jalapeño juice (for an optional kick)
- 1 stem Organic mint leaves
- Muddle the mint leaves in the tequila until it turns light green.
- Strain the mixture into a martini shaker filled with ice. Add the tangerine juice, lemon juice, and simple syrup. To kick it up a notch add the jalapeño juice and then shake.
- Strain into a martini glass, or a bucket glass filled with ice. Garnish with mint leaves, serve, and enjoy!
Gin Cucumber Basil Smash
Light, sweet, and fragrant. This cocktail has an exhilarating taste and pairs well with a spring day outdoors.
- 8 Basil leaves
- 8 slices Cucumber
- 2 tbsp Simple syrup
- 1 ½ oz Dry Gin
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Crushed ice
- Splash of tonic water
- Strips of cucumber (use a vegetable peeler to make them)
- Extra Basil leaves for garnish
- 2 tsp Sugar to rim glass
- Make a sugar rim on the glass by dipping the rim of the glass in a sauce of water first and then in the sugar.
- Place the basil leaves and cucumber in a cocktail shaker and muddle until the basil and cucumber are bruised and fragrant.
- Add the simple syrup, gin, lemon juice, and ice. Shake vigorously until frost forms on the outside of the cocktail shaker.
- Fill your glass with ice and strain the cocktail into the glass. Top with tonic water. Garnish with strips of cucumber and basil leaves.
Don’t forget to stock up on all the best quality ingredients for your Earth Day cocktails at your local Spec’s.