Warm up your cold winter guests in the most fun way—by mixing up a batch of this rich and invigorating cocktail known as hot buttered rum. This popular winter concoction has roots back to colonial America, and after one sip you’ll see why it’s been a seasonal staple for decades.
Be sure to pop into your local Spec’s, to pick up the ingredient’s you’ll need. Mix up a cocktail and just rum with it.
Classic Hot Buttered Rum
Warm buttered rum that’s the perfect party pleaser—and it’s ready in just 15 minutes!
Hot Buttered Rum Batter:
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Have ready at serving time:
- 2 tbsp rum
- ½ cup boiling water
- Ground nutmeg
- Beat butter and brown sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in whipping cream and powdered sugar alternately on low speed until smooth.
- Stir in cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Use immediately, or spoon into a 1-quart freezer container. Cover, label and freeze up to 3 months.
- For each serving, place rum and 2 tablespoons Hot Buttered Rum Batter in a mug. Stir in boiling water. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Low-Carb, Sugar-Free Hot Buttered Rum
A low-calorie alternative to the rich, hot buttered rum recipe.
- 1 cup white rum
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted, 1/2 stick
- 1/4 cup monkfruit sweetener or preferred low carb sweetener
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground
- sea salt to taste
- Combine water, butter, sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and whisk ingredients well. Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Mix in rum and serve!