Today marks the celebration of #NationalCocoaDay! Hot cocoa is the warm, and velvety holiday drink that you’re never too old for.
If you’re craving your winter cocoa fix, we have some perfect hot cocoa cocktail recipes to satiate your sweet tooth.
Mix up one of these confectionary concoctions or mix up your own cup of hot cocoa and tag it with #NationalCocoaDay on social media.
If you want to experiment with a boozy cocoa cocktail of your own, here are some other delicious hot cocoa brands at Spec’s. Try one out, then spice it up with your favorite brandy, rum or even whipped cream vodka!
Red Wine Hot Chocolate
Makes 2 mugs or 6-8 Smaller glasses
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 cup red wine (We recommend: this Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Whipped cream
- Combine milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until chocolate is melted, and the result is a thick and creamy chocolate milk.
- Next, pour in red wine and heat until hot.
- Pour into 2 mugs, or 6-8 smaller glasses and top with whipped cream. We recommend the latter, as the drink is very rich and perfect for small sipping glasses.
Irish Cream Hot Cocoa
- 8 cups milk
- 1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Irish cream liqueur, (we recommend: Carolans)
- ½ cup vodka (recommended: Deep Ellum Vodka)
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate chips
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat milk, cocoa, sugar and salt over medium heat, beating with whisk often until cocoa is fully incorporated and mixture is warm and smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, liqueur and vodka.
- Carefully pour mixture into heatproof punch bowl.
- Serve immediately with whipped cream, chocolate chips and chocolate cookie straws.
Buttermint White Hot Chocolate
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white buttermints
- 6 oz chopped white chocolate
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 1 cup marshmallows
- mint sprigs
- crushed buttermints
- Whisk together 4 cups whole milk, 1 cup heavy cream, and 1/2 cup white buttermints in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium, stirring constantly, until mints are dissolved and mixture is hot, about 13 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 6 ounces chopped white chocolate and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract until smooth.
- Stir in 1/3 cup Irish cream liqueur (such as Baileys Irish Cream).
- Pour into 4 serving cups, and top each with 1/4 cup marshmallows. Garnish with mint sprigs and crushed buttermints, if desired.