In case you’re wondering why all your friends are refusing to attend your National Hedgehog Day Party on February 2nd, it’s because the Big Game happens to be on that very same Sunday.
*If you aren’t a big sports fan, the Big Game refers to the annual championship football game of the National Football League that pits the winner of the AFC against the winner of the NFC. And because you’ll spend all day in a state of perpetual curiosity; AFC stands for the American Football Conference and NFC stands for the National Football Conference. The game was born out of the merger agreement between the former AFL and the NFL in 1966.
To everyone else, it’s time to party! (Also, please be nice and invite your hedgehog loving friend) If you’re looking for something a little more upscale than a cooler full of beer but have zero desire to be stuck behind the bar making cocktails all evening, may we suggest big-batch cocktails? We’d say it’s a punch, but punches have a reputation for being sticky-sweet kiddie drinks and these recipes are anything but. The best part about big-batch cocktails is the recipes are simple and short and guests can serve themselves from the various pitchers and punch bowls, depending on which one you choose to go with.
Enough of the pre-game jibber jabber, let’s get to the goods!
Grapefruit Beer Punch
- 4 c. (32 oz) gin
- 2 c. (16 oz) fresh grapefruit juice (about 4 large grapefruits)
- 5 c. (40 oz) India Pale Ale, chilled
- Combine the gin and grapefruit juice in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Add the IPA just before serving and ladle into ice-filled punch or lowball glasses.
- 2 c. vodka
- 6 ½ c. lemonade cold
- 4 ½ c. corona cold
- Lemons and cherries for garnish
- Mix all ingredients in a pitcher.
- Serve over ice garnished with lemon and a cherry.
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. water
- 2 ½ c. refrigerated fresh orange juice
- 2 c. bourbon
- ½ c. fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 3 c. chilled club soda
- Fresh orange slices (optional)
- Combine sugar and 1/3 cup water in a 1-cup glass measure. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes; stir until sugar dissolves. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine sugar mixture, orange juice, bourbon, and lemon juice in a large pitcher; stir well. Stir in club soda just before serving. Garnish with orange slices, if desired.
Super Big Bowl of Jungle Juice
- 1 bottle Tequila
- 1 bottle Vodka
- 1 bottle Rum
- 1 bottle Peach Schnapps
- 3/4 bottle Blue curaçao
- 2 bottles White Cranberry Peach Juice
- 2 bottles White Grape Peach Juice
- Sliced Strawberries
- Sliced Oranges
- In a large container, drop in strawberry slices and orange slices.
- Add liqueurs and juices and stir well.
- Serve in a glass with ice and garnish with fruit.
Bloody Gridiron Punch
- 4 c. Bourbon
- 1 c. Blood Orange Juice
- 1/2 c. Lemon Juice
- 1 c. Amaretto Liqueur
- 2 (750 ml) bottles chilled Champagne
- Large block of ice
- Garnish: Blood Orange Slices
- Stir bourbon, blood orange juice, lemon juice and amaretto together in a punch or serving bowl.
- When ready to serve, stir in champagne, slide in one large block of ice and garnish with blood orange slices.
Sparkling Sweet Tea Pitcher Cocktail
- 1 c. Rye Whiskey
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 7 ½ c. warm water, divided
- 4 black tea bags
- 1 can club soda or seltzer water, chilled
- 1 orange, sliced into wheels
- 1 lemon sliced into wheels
- In a small saucepan heat the sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water just until the sugar completely dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- In a large pitcher, combine the tea bags and the remaining 6 cups of water and steep until the tea is as strong as you like it: five minutes for a weaker tea and up to twenty minutes for a stronger brew. Remove and discard used tea bags.
- Add the cooled simple syrup and whiskey and stir. Top with the cold club soda and stir in the orange and lemon wheels. Fill the remainder of the pitcher with ice.
- Serve in tall glasses filled with ice. Enjoy!
Purple Nurple Punch
- 1 (750 ml) Blackberry Vodka bottle, chilled
- 2 (750 ml) bottles Lambrusco, chilled
- 2 c. Sour Mix
- 2 c. Club Soda
- 2 pints raspberry sherbet
- Garnish: raspberries and blackberries
- Stir vodka, sour mix and club soda together in a serving vessel.
- When ready to serve, stir in Lambrusco.
- Place one small scoop of sherbet in each cup, ladle in punch and serve to the thirsty masses.