Besides family and celebrations, there is another thing that can bring everyone together and put you all in a jolly and festive mood – cocktails! More specifically, Christmas cocktails.
We’ve put together a list of our favorites and added some new ones for 2018. All you have to do is take a deep breath and open up the bar.
1. Spiced Rum Punch with Citrus and Luxardo
- 1 cup High-proof rum
- 1 cup Spiced rum
- ⅓ cup Luxardo maraschino liqueur
- 2 teaspoons Peychaud’s bitters
- ¼ cup Simple syrup
- 1 cup Fresh grapefruit juice
- ¾ cup Fresh orange juice, strained
- ½ cup Fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1 Grapefruit, sliced into rounds
- 1 Blood orange, sliced into rounds
- 1 Lime, sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup Kumquats, sliced into rounds
- Combine both rums, grapefruit juice, orange juice, lemon juice, liqueur, simple syrup, and bitters in a punch bowl.
- Serve punch in 6-oz. glasses filled with ice and garnish with fruit slices.
2. Spirited Spritz
- 3 oz. Champagne
- 1½ oz. Suze
- 1 oz. Club soda
- 1 oz. Fresh orange juice
- Orange wheel and sage sprig (for serving)
- Combine Suze, club soda, and orange juice in an ice-filled rocks glass. Stir gently to combine.
- Top with Champagne; garnish with an orange wheel and a sage sprig.
3. Chambord Kir Royale
- ¼ ounce Chambord
- Add the Chambord to a flute and top with Champagne.
- Garnish with a raspberry and a lemon twist.
4. Uncle Angelo’s Eggnog Cocktail
- 8 oz. Bourbon
- 4 oz. Spiced rum
- 6 Eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup Sugar
- 1 qt. Whole milk
- 1 pt. Heavy cream
- 1 grated nutmeg for garnish
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks and half a cup of sugar until they turn light in color.
- Stir in the milk, heavy cream, bourbon and rum.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the remaining quarter-cup of sugar until they form soft peaks.
- Fold about a third of the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Serve in punch or tea cups topped with freshly grated nutmeg, folding in more of the egg whites as desired.
5. Fall Spritz
- 1.5 oz. Averna amaro
- 6 oz. Basque-style dry hard cider
- Orange twist (for garnish)
- Pour amaro and cider into a glass filled with ice and stir to combine; garnish with orange twist.
6. Cran Royale
- 1 oz. Campari
- 12 oz. Dry sparkling wine
- 2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- Fresh cranberries (for serving)
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
Cranberry-Thyme Syrup (can be made 2 weeks ahead, just cover and chill)
- Cook thyme, cranberries, sugar, and ¼ cup water in a small saucepan over low, swirling pan occasionally, just until sugar is dissolved and cranberries have released their color, 12–15 minutes (do not reduce liquid).
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a heatproof bowl or measuring cup and let cool (you should have 4 oz.).
- For each cocktail, combine 1 oz. cranberry-thyme syrup, ½ oz. lemon juice, and ¼ oz. Campari in an ice-filled cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake vigorously until the outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass and top with 3 oz. Champagne; garnish with 3 cranberries on a skewer.
7. Grand Coffee
- 1 oz. Grand Marnier, warmed
- 3 oz. Hot brewed coffee
- 3⁄4 oz. Brown sugar syrup, if desired
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Pour all the ingredients into a mug or heat-proof highball glass and stir.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp of whipped cream on top.
8. Coquito Cocktail
- 750 ml. Añejo rum
- 56 oz. Sweetened condensed milk
- 48 oz. Evaporated milk
- 24 oz. Cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 4 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 4 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 750 ml. White, añejo or spiced rum
- 2 Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients except the rum in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, let cool, and stir in the rum.
- Transfer to bottles (making sure that at least one cinnamon stick goes into each bottle), seal and store in the refrigerator.
- Serve over ice in rocks glasses.
- Garnish with 2 cinnamon sticks.
9. Timmy’s Brandy Milk Punch Cocktail
- 1 cup Brandy
- 3 cup Milk
- 3 tbsp. Powdered sugar, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Grated nutmeg, to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and fill with ice.
- Blend for 20 seconds.
- Taste, and add more sugar if desired.
- Strain the mixture into four tall glasses filled with crushed ice.
10. Easy Christmas Punch
- 1 750-ml bottle VSOP-grade Cognac
- 1 cup Sherry
- 6 lemons
- 1 cup Raw sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Fill 4-cup metal bowl with water. Freeze overnight (for ice mold).
- Remove peels from 4 lemons in strips. Place in medium bowl. Add sugar and muddle. Let stand 30 minutes. Muddle again.
- Cut peeled and unpeeled lemons in half; juice enough lemons to yield 1 cup juice. Bring 1 cup water to boil in small saucepan; pour over lemon peel mixture and stir until sugar dissolves. Strain syrup into large bowl; discard peels. Mix in lemon juice. Add Cognac, Sherry, and 4 cups cold water. Cover punch and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours.
- Dip ice mold in hot water to release ice block. Turn ice block, rounded side up, in punch bowl. Add punch. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Ladle into small cups and serve.