There’s no magical way to bring a quick and pleasant end to winter unless you’re able to migrate to the opposite hemisphere, but you can certainly make the time until spring more bearable with hot drinks!
We’re referring to the classic hot toddy made with honey, lemon juice, hot water, and a brown liquor like brandy, whiskey, or rum.
While it’s a lovely drink for consuming sake, the hot toddy has some health benefits that you might want to keep in mind.
For decades, people have used the hot toddy as a natural remedy for easing aches and pains associated with the common cold, and for the most part, it was assumed that it works because your brain thinks it works, not because there is actual science behind it.
As it turns out, the drink is pretty great, from a scientific perspective, at kicking a cold to the curb.
“The alcohol dilates blood vessels a little, making it easier for your mucus membranes to deal with the infection,” said Dr. James Burns, medical director of the wound and hyperbaric center at Peninsula Regional Medical Center.
Plus, alcohol makes you sleepy and sleep is the key to getting better faster. So, when you start feeling under the weather, or you’re just sick of the weather, try one of these hot toddy variations to lift your spirits!
Hot Gin Toddy
- 1 1/2 oz Traditional London dry gin
- 3/4 oz. Lemon juice
- 2 oz. Hot water
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- Garnish: cinnamon stick
- Combine all ingredients in a wine goblet, snifter, or mug
- Stir well
- Garnish and enjoy
Tequila Hot Toddy
- 1 ½ oz. Sauza Hornitos Añejo
- ¾ oz. Grand Marnier
- ½ oz. Agave nectar
- 2 squeezes Lemon
- 2 squeezes Fresh orange juice
- 3 Cinnamon sticks
- 3 Cloves
- In a mug, combine the ingredients and top with hot water.
Grand Rum Toddy
- 1 1/2 oz. Rum
- 3/4 oz. Orange liqueur
- 1/4 oz. Lime juice
- 6 oz. Hot water (or enough to fill)
- Garnish: lime wedge
- In a preheated Irish coffee glass or mug, pour the rum, orange liqueur, and lime juice.
- Fill with hot water and stir well.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy.
Fireball Hot Toddy
- 2 oz. Fireball
- 6 oz. boiling water
- 2 oz. warm caramel
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- Bring water to a boil and dip glasses in caramel. Add honey to each glass and squeeze lemon juice. Pour over Fireball and boiling water and stir until honey is dissolved.
- Top with cinnamon stick and star anise.
(Feel free to skip the caramel!)
Apple Hot Toddy
- 2 oz. Whiskey (or apple brandy)
- 1 tsp. Honey
- 5 oz. Apple cider (hot)
- Garnish: 1 lemon wedge
- Garnish: 1 cinnamon stick
- Garnish: 2 to 3 cloves (whole)
- Coat the bottom of an Irish coffee glass or mug with honey.
- Add the whiskey or apple brandy.
- Fill with hot apple cider.
- Stir well.
- Garnish with the lemon, cinnamon stick, and cloves.
- Serve and enjoy!