Here we are in week 3 of Spec’s Sip & Stream pairing suggestions, and we’re still finding things to watch. It really is amazing how much entertainment is at our fingertips in this digital age of convenience! Anyway, let’s get to mixing up some deliciousness.
Castle Rock • Hulu
The Stephen King multiverse is the setting for this psychological horror series that takes place in Castle Rock, Maine, which is a location familiar to fans of King’s work. An anonymous phone call lures death-row attorney Henry Deaver back to Castle Rock. He is unsettled by his hometown, but he returns to help a sinister, mostly mute man being kept in a cage underneath Shawshank. Sissy Spacek and Bill Skarsgård, who starred in feature adaptations of King’s “Carrie” and “It,” respectively, are among the show’s stars.
Pair it with:
New England Sour
This tart grapefruit-based, maple-sweetened sour pairs wonderfully with that feeling in the pit of your stomach that results from a combination of fear and curiosity that’s inherent in any Stephen King story.
- Combine ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice.
- Stir well, garnish with a lemon wedge, and serve with a straw.
An India Pale Ale with New England roots showcasing a big punch of orange and pineapple with a smooth finish.
Schitt’s Creek • Netflix
When rich video-store magnate Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy) and his family suddenly find themselves broke, they are forced to rebuild their lives with their sole remaining asset: a small town named Schitt’s Creek, which they had bought for their son as a joke birthday gift back in 1991. The Roses relocate to Schitt’s Creek, moving into two adjacent rooms in a run-down motel and hilarity ensues.
Pair it with:
As this hoity-toity family is now living in a motel, we’ll be creating cocktails you can make using only a mini bar.
Throw on that hotel bathrobe and get to lounging.
- Add the vodka and Kahlúa to a glass with ice.
- Top with the heavy cream and stir.
Simple, sweet and bubbly – like a small-town motel
- 1 1/2 oz. Gin
- Juice of half a lemon or lime
- Ginger ale, to top
- Garnish: Lemon or lime wedge
- Fill a Collins glass with ice and add the gin and lemon or lime juice.
- Fill with ginger ale and stir briefly.
- Garnish with a lemon or lime wedge.
Troll’s World Tour • On-Demand
Poppy and Branch discover that there are six different troll tribes scattered over six different lands. Each tribe is also devoted to six different kinds of music — funk, country, techno, classical, pop and rock. When rockers Queen Barb and King Thrash set out to destroy the other music, Poppy and Branch embark on a daring mission to unite the trolls and save the diverse melodies from becoming extinct.
Pair it with Colorful cocktails!
Hair of the Troll
Yes, there will be troll hair
- 1 1/2 oz. cake vodka
- 1 oz. whipped cream vodka
- 2 oz. French vanilla creamer
- Cotton candy
- 1 cup ice
- Blue Curaçao and grenadine, for color
- Corn syrup and hot pink sprinkles, for rim
- Gather together 2 shallow bowls. In the first one, pour enough corn syrup in it to fill the bottom. In the second bowl, pour enough sprinkles to fill the bottom of the bowl.
- Dip the rim of a shot glass into the corn syrup and then into the pink sprinkles. Repeat with the second shot glass and place in the refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes.
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour 2 oz. of the French vanilla creamer into the shaker.
- Add the cake vodka and whipped cream vodka and shake well
- Remove the shot glasses from the refrigerator and pour the vodka in each glass
- In the first shot glass, add just a touch of grenadine and stir till you achieve a pink color.
- In the second shot glass, add just a touch of blue Curaçao and stir until it turns blue.
- Place a large piece of cotton candy in the shape of troll hair on top of each glass. You want to make sure the cotton candy sits on the rim and not in the vodka mixture.
Orange and delicious
- 1 ½ oz vanilla vodka
- orange soda
- whipped cream (optional)
- zest of orange (optional)
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Add 1 /12 oz. of vanilla vodka.
- Fill the rest of the glass with orange soda.
- Garnish with whipped cream and orange zest.